Named "Best Gluten Free Takeout in Auckland" in New Zealand Herald's VIVA 2010 Takeout Awards
and "Best Fish and Chips Takeout in Auckland" in the VIVA 2011 Takeout Awards
The following review is reprinted from Viva’s 2011 Auckland Takeout Awards, November 9, 2011
"You can't beat a good fix of fish and chips. However, it's not that easy to find. This year we wanted to find not a gourmet fish and chip shop, but one with an old-school approach that would evoke those memories of when there was nothing better than fish and chips. Royal Oak's The Chip Shop is a good, solid performer. Not gourmet, as we say, but reasonably priced and where freshness was a big consideration, as was the use of plain salt, not those terrible flavoured ones that some are using. The Chip Shop was last year honoured for their Gluten-Free items, but after repeated visits this last year, they have proved themselves to be a great all-rounder. They offer a full menu of Gluten Free options including potato fritters, battered fish and shellfish, hot dogs and even pineapple fritters, as well as the usual menu. Their chips are thick cut agria potatoes cooked in rice bran oil and they were the perfect chip in our opinion."
What our customers say about us:
1. Grabbed dinner here last night. Crikey! The food was excellent! Worth the journey from Titirangi. (April 2012). And a year on I visited last night again. Still brilliant. Nothing's changed. They rock the fish and chip world! Lara.
2. We have had takeaways a couple of times from The Chip Shop. The first time they were good, the second time they were great. Fish and chips would seem to be a simple meal to cook, however so many places kill this classic. These guys do a great job.Worth travelling a few kms to get to. David.
3. Have been here twice now. The first time was approx a month ago, even though they were busy, we had lovely friendly service and got our meal in about 10-15 minutes which was great. Then we went back last night. Oh. My. God. The hotdog ever! Sarah.
4. Can only give 5 stars, or else I would give more. What a difference good food makes, cooked perfect, just the right amount of salt, the batter of the fish had a puffy crispiness to it, and kumara chips that aren’t stuck together like most other places. Definitely worth the visit, took 2 other people who went back 2 times in the same week, they loved it so much. Steve.
5. I'm a first time visitor to The Chip Shop and have just finished eating my chip buttie lunch with the team at work – we all agree that the chips were amazing! Rachel.
6. Simply the best. Other fish & chip shops should go here to see how it’s done. I’m a really fussy person & I can’t fault these guys. And this is not based on one or two visits … Like all the locals who have returned week after week for the past five or more years we know this place cannot be beaten! Liane.
7. My husband thought I was mad wanting to go that far for fish and chips but it was well worth the drive from the North Shore. We’ll be back! Maree.
8. We tried this place after reading all the reviews and what amazing food! It’s the first fish/chips experience I’ve had since being here in Auckland and it was great not having it dripping with grease! Merl.
9. I love their kumara chips too, always nicely done, chunky pieces of crunchiness & then softness inside. Would definitely go back for more. Great service, great food, great prices, what more can one ask? Cecilia.
10. We went to this place because we were driving around on a Friday night and saw the massive queue outside. Very yummy traditional kiwistyle fish and chips, real homemade style heavier flour batter. Fish is fresh, chips taste like real as they make their own. Tim.
11. Best fish and chips we have ever had! Crunchy chips and lovely fresh fish. Will definitely be buying here again, even though it’s a 15 min drive from our home! Kristie.
12. Fantastic fish and chips, don’t need to bother going anywhere else. Mike.
13. The best fish and chips around – and good to know that they’re a bit healthier than your average as well! Katherine.
14. Quite possibly this is the best and most reliable fish and chip shop in Auckland. Fran.
15. Excellent fish and chips, we have tried many places in One Tree Hill, Royal Oak and Onehunga and this beats the others by miles. Well done. Jacquie.